- This is a type of psoriasis that rarely occurs. It usually affects 3-7% of the people suffering from psoriasis.
- Inverse psoriasis also is known as skin-fold psoriasis. This type of psoriasis generally involves plaque psoriasis and genital psoriasis.
- It’s characterized erythematous, uneven, clear-demarcated thin, and symmetrical plaques in the vulva and vagina.
- Scaling of the skin and dryness is not observed but in this type of psoriasis as the areas affected will have a high level of moisture and warmth.
- Since the areas involved are not dry because it does not causes dryness and scaling. It causes maceration, fissuring, chronic itching, and irritation, etc.
- People affected by a fungal or bacterial infection near the genital areas are more prone to develop inverse psoriasis or skin-fold psoriasis.
- Patients suffering from inverse psoriasis have a negative impact on life. They face low self-confidence issues and embarrassment.
- This condition causes irritation during sexual intercourse, passing urine or feces, wearing tight underwear, and local infections.
- The immune cells CD4+ and CD8+ and T-cells will enter hyper-activity mode and leads to hyper-proliferation of skin cells (that are called keratinocytes)
- Psoriasis reduces the quality of life of patients with constant itching and irritation, etc.
- It’s a non-infectious and inflammatory dermatological disorder that cannot be cured completely but it can be managed.
- Management of psoriasis relies on adhering because of the treatment regimen.
It affects the flexural areas or skin folds of the body and Inverse psoriasis involves the peri-anal region, axillary region, popliteal fosse, folds under the breasts, inguinal folds, buttocks, and pubic region.
Diagnosis based on the medical background, clinical presentation, clinical signs, and symptoms. Presence of skin lesions, plaques in the genital area, pubic area, and in the skin folds of the body like armpits, under the breasts, buttocks, anal region, and peri-anal region, etc. there is no specific test to diagnose inverse psoriasis.
DO’s and DONT’s FOR INVERSE PSORIASIS:
- Avoid wearing tight clothes. Wear loose and cotton clothes.
- Avoid tight and dark-colored inner wears.
- Take bath regularly with mild soap and shampoo
- Avoid using perfumes and scents directly on the skin surface.
- Manage sweat. Excessive sweat causes irritation and itching.
- Do not expose the skin directly under the sun.
- Avoid physical intimacy and sexual intercourse, if you are suffering from genital psoriasis.
Keywords: inverse psoriasis, skin folds, itching.
If you have any problem regarding pigmentation CLICK HERE